<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Thursday, April 01, 2004




It is done.

Hello, I'm Stephen Tilson. You may recognize me from Usenet's rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc, where I play a guy named Steve Tilson. You may also know me from that group's sinister cabal of snobby elitists, @rassm. Or you may know me because you're family. Or you may not know me. (You'd be in gloried company, there.)

Not content with mailing lists, Usenet, and various other fora in which I inflict my unsolicited views upon unsuspecting readers, I have relented, I have succumbed, I have collapsed in the face of the ultimate temptation:

I have started my own blog.

I once swore I'd never do this. Blogging was for people who think too highly of themselves. Blogging was for people who don't care if they disrupt the communities they're part of by removing themselves from the flow of commentary (@rassm knows what I'm talking about, eh wot?). Blogging was for trendy urbanites with dot-com jobs and delusions of adequacy who take their double mocha lattes with freshly-ground cinammon and wouldn't be able to change a tire if the lives of a busload of physically-challenged schoolchildren depended on it. Blogging just wasn't manly, wasn't a worthwhile use of mental or physical resources, wasn't something a boy from the hills of southwest Virginia does.

But when everybody does something, it's only a matter of time before even the most stalwart change their ways. Honestly: if everyone around you were smoking crack, don't you think you'd be the tiniest bit inclined to light up a pipe yourself?

And believe me, it seemed that EVERYONE around me was doing this. You can't click through five pages on the Internet without seeing some reference to someone's blog. Clicking on the blog invariably leads you to a series of links to other blogs, which link to more blogs, which link to more blogs. Good blogs, bad blogs, indifferent blogs. Blogs by people who know what they're doing, and by people who just fired up their first computer three days ago. Blogs about any subject, and no subject at all.

This blog falls into the latter category. If all goes as planned, I will be posting (barring the vagaries of inconsistent access to the Internet) on subjects of interest to me, which run the usual gamut: politics, culture (including but not limited to books, TV, movies, music, and computer games), work (I'm a teacher), religion (I'm a born-again fundamentalist five-point Calvinist Baptist with New Covenant leanings, but I do not thump the Bible; it is disrespectful), and anything else I might find amusing.

Also, I'm just now learning the mechanics of all this, so forgive me if the links over there say "Edit me" (or nothing) for a while, or if the whole place whiffs of that new-house smell of dry-wall putty and fresh paint. It will change and evolve over time.

Friends and family are welcome. So is anyone else.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?