<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Tuesday, June 08, 2004



Timeline 


In the class I'm taking right now (Integrating Technology in the Curriculum), one of our assignments was to create a timeline (using Timeliner 5.0) of our lives.

And as I examined mine, I realized that most of the exciting things in my life have already happened.

My life peaked, in terms of activity and excitement, when I was between the ages of seven and twelve. That's when we lived in Mexico; that's when I was traveling all over the eastern US with my parents on fundraising trips; that's when I learned a foreign language, a different culture, and ways of filling my own time with reading and music that have stuck with me to this day.

Since I came back from Mexico, a lot has happened; but much of it has been trivial.

Prime example: I spent four years working in the Electronics department at Wal-Mart. I made Wal-Mart some money, they dribbled a little back to me. Big furry deal.

The only thing I've done since I came back from Mexico that even came close to the importance of the work I was doing there (yes, I was working there, too; not the way my dad was, but I was witnessing every chance I got) is teaching where I am now. There's much to be done here: children to teach, racism to fight, professional skills to hone and expand.

And maybe I'm romanticizing my time in Mexico too much. I did spend quite a bit of it playing with Star Wars action figures.

But I do hope I haven't seen my best days already.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?