<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Tuesday, August 10, 2004



Day one on the books 


Yesterday was our first day with kids. As first days with kids go, it wasn't bad.

The worst part about the day is the malfunctioning air conditioning in my room. Imagine the dog days of a Georgia summer.

Now imagine it cooped up in a classroom.

Now imagine it cooped up in a classroom with 36 kids.

Now imagine it cooped up in a classroom with 36 kids and windows that won't open.

Now imagine it cooped up in a classroom with 36 kids, windows that won't open, and no A/C.

The kids, God bless them, took it in stride. Very few complained about the heat. Perhaps that's because most of them heard my "no weather reports" lecture last year. (Which goes, roughly: You don't have to tell me it's hot or cold in here. I know whether it's hot or cold in here. I'm in this room much more than you are, and I am fully aware of its climate. Do not give me a weather report and do not complain.)

And yes, I did have one class that had 36 kids in it. They were well-behaved... yesterday. Experience tells me they will always be well-behaved on the first day, maybe even the whole first week. But if there are still 36 kids in there next week, I expect I will have to smite down with wrath upon a few of them (to the extent that one can smite down with wrath upon someone with an office referral) by the middle of next week. The guidance counselor, who is looking even more harried and stressed than usual for this time of year, promises that once our numbers stabilize, I shouldn't have that many; she'll do her best to even out the overloaded classes with those who have room for a few more. Which, I suppose, means that the classes in which I have (as of yesterday) only 25 or so will go up to 30, while my 36-body class may come down to, say, 32.

So we'll see how it goes today. I am optimistic.

Spent $500 on a washer and dryer last night. This depresses me. I hate spending money on necessities.


|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?