<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Wednesday, October 13, 2004



Back 


Having finally obtained high-speed Internet access in my apartment, I am now able to blog without mooching the resources of others.

Of course, now that I have the means, I don't have the time.

Not that I had the time before.

Tonight, I need to be writing the pre-test/post-test for my classes -- a single document with a modular structure that will allow me to change it for the things we cover in the course of a class. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't required; I hate teaching to tests. But it can't be helped. Testing is the wave of the future... or at least it will be until we get some numbers showing how much worse-off students are whose teachers were required to administer standardized end-of-course tests to them, tests which define and constrain the instruction that can or will happen in the classroom.

Of course, if it turns out the kids aren't worse off, it'll be pretty hard to come up with those numbers.

Nah, it'll be easy.

Speaking of easy: I've managed to pick up one of those web virus thingies that resets my homepage to its creators' "search page." I divine that this is nothing more than a honeypot for me to enter credit card numbers into, so I will not be using it.

However...

The virus/trojan/adware is so heinously fiendish, so bizarrely twisted, so downright annoying that not only will it reset my homepage no matter how many times I set it to Google, it always pops itself back up. And this is the really freaky part:

It won't let me go to the Microsoft Update pages.

Every time I try to dl SP2, I get redirected to the "search page." It doesn't want me patching those wonderful security holes in Windows XP, I guess.

It does the same when I try to go to Slashdot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?