<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Friday, October 01, 2004



I live. 


Extremely busy week= no posting. Despite this, the growth of the Alliance of God blogroll has promoted this ickle blog to Marauding Marsupial. I was all happy to be a warm-blooded creature at last that I forgot that Adorable Little Rodents are also mammals, so I was less happy. Then I noticed this clever pouch I've developed on my abdomen, and I was happy again.

First meeting of the Chess Club yesterday. A blast was had by all. I suffered my first ever defeat when playing against a student; an eighth-grader named Jonathan turned a couple of the worst blunders I've ever committed into an insuperable advantage. I flatter myself by saying that if I hadn't had thirty kids asking me questions and tromping past my desk I wouldn't have been so distracted that I committed those errors, but the fact remains he handed me my head on a platter. I resigned after he took my queen and one of my rooks. Perhaps he would've made a terrible blunder and I might have forced a draw... but the way he was playing, and the way I was playing, I doubt it extremely.

Our next game, I was cleaning Jonathan's clock when the bell rang. "We drew," Jonathan announced... whereupon I showed him how far ahead of him I was in material and position. (I had control of the center, had traded him my bishops for his rooks, and was about to push my queen into a hole in his pawn structure to really start tearing up jack.) "But we're out of time, so we draw," Jonathan said... a bit too smugly for my liking.

Next time, kid. Next time.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?