<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Thursday, February 03, 2005



Randomness 


It's about 10:10pm and I'm watching the Cleveland Cavaliers clawing their way back from a 15-point deficit against the Miami Heat. It's now 77-74 and Cleveland has the ball... LeBron spins, shoots, is blocked, snatches the ball from mid-air and shoots again, and is blocked again... somehow the Cavs score anyway.

One of those nights. LeBron James has 28 points and 10 assists. He just recently turned 20. I just recently turned 34.

And an O'Neal dunk off a Wade rebound. Nip and tuck.

I like the Cavs. Not just because of James and not just because they share the name of my alma mater's team. I like them because they seem like a bunch of working guys, and their young floor leader comes off as a genuinely nice person. And I like them because of The Optimist, whose never-say-die attitude has ticked off even Cavaliers fans who blame him for firing up the opposition with his predictions of victory.

Ah, the Heat just went on a tear and are up by 7 again. Crap on a cracker.

It occurs to me that I have always been extraordinarily blessed by the people I know. Far more than I've blessed them. That's been the case as long as I can remember, and it continues to this day.

Remember in your prayers my friend Sergeant Todd Williams, who attends my church and whose unit left recently for Fort Stewart on the way to Iraq. His wife Meredith will deliver their first child in April. I last saw Todd at his family's annual Christmas party on December 18. As he was preparing to go home, we were saying goodbye and all I could get out was "If we don't..."

It was like running into a brick wall. He bailed me out with a grin:

Yeah, I hear you.

If you're reading this, Todd, stay safe, brother. I commend to you Romans 8.

Back on January 3, I wrote that this area was never going to seem like home to me, barring either miraculous or catastrophic circumstances. But recently... between the friendship of Todd and his brother John Paul, and the best students in the world, and the proximity of relatives (shout-out to the world's greatest little sister and everybody up at Covenant), and the welcoming congregation of my church (already family, now and forever), and my overdue realization of how good I have it here...

...maybe there's a miracle about to happen.

No miracle for the Cavs, though: they lost, 100-88.

Good night.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?